A storage ottoman is an ottoman that can be used to store household goods and clothes after lifting its top or seat. Ottomans are usually one of the most stylish pieces of furniture in a house – their aesthetic appeal arises not just from their shape, which is simple enough, but also from their small size and the resultant portability. Indeed, their simple shape, which is cubical for most ottomans, adds to their style, making them suitable to be used as coordinating furniture for different types of furniture sets.
Advantages of a Storage Ottoman
A storage ottoman serves two major purposes in a home – firstly it is used as furniture, usually as a footrest, and secondly it serves as a storage bin. As a storage compartment, an ottoman is especially suitable for storing household objects that are needed regularly, once a week or so. An ottoman is always within easy reach, so any item stored in it is easier to get than if it were to be stored in a basement or attic.
As a piece of furniture, not only does a storage ottoman serve well as a footrest, which is its normal use, it can also serve well as a coffee table. Additionally, it can also be used as a stool to sit on. An ottoman is a very versatile piece of furniture, and is often put to assorted uses in different households.
When first introduced in Europe in the early 19th century, one of the most important roles of ottomans was to make a set of furniture look good by acting as coordinating furniture. Even today, they are used to give any room or set of furniture a desired effect. For example, if you have a room with solid colors, you can use a colorful ottoman to add some color to the room. Ottomans are available in an endless variety of colors and textures, so if you wish to add a dash of a particular color or texture to a room, a storage ottoman can be the perfect solution for you.
Types of Storage Ottomans
Ottomans may be classified based on their shape, which can be square or rectangular at the top, the materials used in their construction, which can be leather or some other material, or the purpose to which they are put, for example when they are used as coffee tables.
- Square Ottomans – Due to their symmetrical square shape, square storage ottomans can be paired with almost any type of sofa.
- Rectangular Ottomans – Rectangular tops serve well as coffee tables, as well as a place to sit.
- Leather Ottomans – A leather storage ottoman is much more durable than other types of ottomans. Their sober looks make them suitable for office as well as home.
- Coffee Table Ottomans – Almost any ottoman can be used as a coffee table; however, rectangular ottomans are more suitable in this role than other types of ottomans.
- Cocktail Ottomans – When the top of the ottoman can be flipped open and used as a serving tray, it is called a cocktail ottoman. Much like ottomans used as coffee tables, this type of ottomans are useful in more ways than one.
Whether you need a handy storage space in your living room or a piece of versatile furniture to complement your room or other furniture, a storage ottoman is the perfect solution for you. You can use them as footrest, as stools; and as cocktail and coffee tables. Since an ottoman is always within easy reach, they are preferable to an attic or closet when you wish to store some frequently used item in an accessible place. Available in various colors and materials, including in leather, they can be used to add a touch of style to any room which requires it.